Wandering Soul

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Farewell to Sydney

Prior to my trip, everyone but me was getting excited about the fact that I was going to Sydney, Australia! I was completely immune.... maybe as a result of the work, or actually even because of the fact that it was Australia, and therefore, a bigger deal than travelling to, say, the US for work. When I landed in Sydney, ironically, the first thing that struck me about the place was the peace and quiet. I immediately put that down to being in airports and crowded flights for a little too long! But that impression carried throughout the duration of my trip. It's not like there isn't any activity, in fact, there is quite a bit of hustle-bustle on the streets. In fact, on a Friday night, it feels like the entire city is out of hibernation! But inspite of that, there is a no constant background noise that you can hear, even if you are standing in middle of the business area at the busiest hour.

The other thing about Sydney is that it has a little bit of everything. The city has a mix of touristy things/places, old buildings which have a very old-world feel to them, as well as new buildings and skyscrapers. The entire city is very charming -- the buildings, cobbled streets, a sudden burst of flowers on a gray road, couples of all ages walking hand-in-hand (and really, all ages! not just young couples).

About the Opera House... My first reaction to it was that it was over-rated and completely over hyped! However, I think it grows on you.. The more you see it and that too from different sides, the more you start to like it. I think the angularity adds to the overall appeal. The most beautiful that I've seen the opera house though, is at night. The white of the structure reflects against the darkness of the night, giving it an ethereal glow. Dim lights strategically placed on the structure just adds to the beauty!

Overall, I really enjoyed my time in Sydney... and now, it's time to bid adieu!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home