Wandering Soul

Monday, August 13, 2007

Sunday Night Blues...

I don't suffer from Monday morning blues... At least not for the same reasons that most others do.
My ‘blues’ are linked to another phenomenon altogether... Something I call the 'Sunday Night Syndrome'. You see, though I’m a habitual late sleeper, on weekdays I am tired enough to crash out in time to get an average of 7 hours of sleep. But on Sunday nights, I turn into this raging insomniac.


I’ve tried many different things that will hopefully make me fall asleep. Starting from counting sheep… whoever suggested that as a remedy couldn’t have been a true insomniac. Coz when a true insomniac counts sheep, the entire herd crosses the fence and back, many times over without there being any sleep to show for it.
So I try and think happy, peaceful, calm thoughts. You know, the types that would hopefully lull you into sleep. But no sirree! That’s when my mind takes on this philosophical bent, and the ‘where-am-I-headed-in-life’ type of thoughts enter. I’ve even had a world peace category!
I read for a bit and then try and sleep again, only to find myself looking at the clock and calculating the number of hours of sleep that I would be potentially getting IF I went to sleep that instant!

At first, I thought it was a one-off thing, and attributed the sleeplessness to too much of sleep in the afternoon, etc.
But when I realized that it was a phenomenon, I came up with what promised to be the end of my sleepless problems! You see, I had this grand plan which (in my head) was a winner!

My plan began with not getting enough sleep on Sat night/Sunday morning. (In my case this means getting about 7 hours of sleep, which is sacrilege for a weekend!). I did a lot of work throughout the day feeling good about the fact that I was tiring myself out. And made sure that I didn’t sleep a wink, even if it meant splashing really cold water to help keep my eyes open.

So, come nighttime and what happens when I hit the bed?? I end up staring at the ceiling for hours as a familiar feeling overcomes me… the return of bloody Sunday Night Syndrome!!!!

3 Comments:

  • Tell me about it!!!
    "I read for a bit and then try and sleep again, only to find myself looking at the clock and calculating the number of hours of sleep that I would be potentially getting IF I went to sleep that instant!"
    This is exactly same as what happens with me... the only difference being i go through this atleast 3-4 times a week, and not just on sunday!!

    Also tried the not getting enough rest during the day (which is anyway not possible) and tiring myself out plan quite a few times, only to fail miserably!!! :D

    If you happen to come across an effective solution to this, please do share with me as well!!!

    Good luck!! God bless...

    By Blogger Amandeep, at August 14, 2007 11:59 PM  

  • Oh Man..! This is SAME PINCH to the power of hundred! Only yesterday Chandrika was telling me how restless i get on Sunday nights! Good, i now have a name for its 'Sunday Night Syndrome' :-)

    Hope you are doing well..!

    By Blogger Blahsfemmy, at September 24, 2007 1:57 PM  

  • You are indeed my co-SNS sufferer!

    By Blogger Wandering Soul, at September 24, 2007 10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home