Wandering Soul

Monday, November 27, 2006

HELL-O Motto

This is an addendum to my previous post on the (in)famous Motorazr…. Two experiences in the span of 3 weeks, and I am ready to completely tear my hair out!

This incident involves the after-sales service of Motorola, which I experienced when the display of my phone conked off. Oh yeah, issue number one of course was that the display conked off. So after a fair amount of effort, I finally located the Motorola service centre.
Here’s how the whole transaction went:

Over the phone

Me: My phone’s display is not working. Basically, when I open the flip top, all I see is colored lines; I think the display might need to be changed.
Service agent 1: Ma’am, you’ll have to get the phone here. We’ll probably need to replace the part.
Me: how much time will that take?
Service agent 1: Half an hour, if the spare part is available with us.
Me: okay, is it available? I can come there today itself.
Service agent 1: (after putting me on hold when she was presumably, checking for the part): Yes it’s available, you can come today.

At the service centre

Me: I spoke to you over the phone -- My phone’s display is not working. Basically, when I open the flip top, all I see is colored lines; I think the display might need to be changed. You’d mentioned that the display part is available and this can be fixed today.
Service agent 1: Take a seat. We’ll get it done. It will take about half an hour.
Me (after half an hour of waiting): Any update on the phone?
Serice agent 2: Ya, basically the display has become kharab. We’ll need to change it.
Me (thinking: gee, thanks for telling me what I already told you about half an hour ago!): Okay, so have you changed it?
Service agent 2: no, we’ll change it… you'll have to leave it with us. It will take about 2 days.
Me: 2 days? But you told me half an hour!
Service agent 2: No, half an hour was just to check it. Actually we don’t really have the display part with us – we’ll have to order it.
Me: But your colleague told me that you have it with you.
Service agent 2: Forget what she said, she was just saying it. It will be done in 2 days – you can collect it then.

2 days later…

Me (over phone): Hi, I was supposed to pick up my phone today – here is the reference number.
Service agent: Ma’am this has not been fixed today.
Me: But I was told it will be ready for me to pick it up by 5 in the evening.
Service agent: Ya, but the part has not arrived yet. It will come by around 5 today. You can pick up the phone tomorrow.
Me: Are you sure it will be ready tomorrow?
Service agent: Definitely, in fact, you can pick it up tomorrow morning itself – around 11am.

The next day – 3pm

Me: Hi, I’m calling to check if my phone is ready?
Service agent: No, it’s not.
Me: WHY NOT??
Service agent: it will be ready by tomorrow
Me: That’s fine. But why is it not ready today?


At this point, I was given some convoluted story which is not even worth mentioning here. After some 5 mins, Service agent 2 from the day I had visited the center came online. After I had ranted about how pathetic the whole service was and how completely disgusted I was, the guy went to say that they were in fact working on my phone, and that it would be ready for me to collect in a couple of hours. I did ask him how my phone would go from “ready tomorrow morning” to “ready in 2 hours”… but of course, all I got was a “Woh aap hum be chhod dijiye, madam!”.

2 weeks later… the display has conked off yet again.

If I had the resources, energy, and the time, I would sue Motorola – I really would. For now, I am counting the days till I have enough money to buy me a good ol’ Nokia phone again!


Moral of the story: NEVER BUY A MOTOROLA!!!!

4 Comments:

  • well...those problem always happens.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 27, 2006 2:36 PM  

  • Ya, except that with this phone, they seem to be far more frequent!

    By Blogger Wandering Soul, at November 28, 2006 10:44 AM  

  • Apparantly, a chap took Tata Motors to the consumer court over a Safari, he had bought. His case was: selling a product not worthy of public consumption. The chap won and got all his cash back + extra. You could do the same, just make sure your case about the display isn't as lame as the message in the following post: http://rupensharma.blogspot.com/2005/02/it-happens.html#comments.

    I would not depend too much on Nokia either...I recently had one and it would frequently hang. So, before you blindly buy a Nokia, do read the reviews.

    Lastly, this is your third post targeted at Motorola, be careful else you might land up being given a nick-name: The Moto-Erazer!

    By Blogger illusions, at December 04, 2006 4:57 PM  

  • Oh come on... it is only my SECOND post, not third! :)

    And really, after owning the Motorazr, you would know why it would be a really cool thing to be a Moto-Erazer!!! :)

    By Blogger Wandering Soul, at December 05, 2006 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home