Wandering Soul

Friday, December 01, 2006

How Original!

I first heard Shantanu Moitra’s music with the soundtrack of Parineeta, which I absolutely loved. And of course, I was happy for the fact that he had given credit to the Tagore song on which he had based the song 'Piya Bole'. I learned recently that the song 'Kaisi Paheli Zindagani' was a rip off from the Louis Armstrong song 'A kiss to build a dream on'. No credit given anywhere.

Then came Lage Raho Munnabhai. Shantanu Moitra very nicely acknowledged basing 'Bande Mein Tha Dum' on ‘Vande Matram’ (which sparked off a separate controversary). However, what he completely forgot to mention that the song 'Pal Pal' was “borrowed” from Cliff Richard's 'Theme for a Dream'.

I was listening to the soundtrack of 'Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi' the other day. I love this soundtrack -- I think it has some of the best songs that I’ve heard. What I didn't know is that the music director is Shantanu Moitra... now that I do know, I really shudder to think which 'original' source the music is based on.

Meanwhile, of course, Mr. Moitra himself continues to draw accolades for being versatile and original and providing music that is so ‘fresh’.

4 Comments:

  • hey...no fair...the man (Shantanu Moitra) has some great music behind him - Shubha Mudgal's (the whole album) Ab ke Saawan and one of my personal favorite's is the title song of a TV serial called Hum Pardesi Ho Gaye.

    Not to defend, but we don't know what compulsions lead to these inspirations, and if one must, how about getting the rights/crediting them at least...

    By Blogger Straight Curves, at December 04, 2006 12:52 PM  

  • Mr. Moitra seems to give credit to an Indian source...so you can safely assume "Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi" has a foreign inspiration. Now if you think about it, Mr. Moitra is only doing what Bollywood has mastered...plaigarism. Remember, Bappi Lahiri and similar species.

    Lastly, be prepared to shudder, you wont be disappointed :)

    By Blogger illusions, at December 04, 2006 3:07 PM  

  • Straight Curves: Absolutely agree -he has great music behind him, and he shells out really good stuff. My point really is that even if you need to borrow or if you have been inspired by another tune, give appropriate credit.
    Giving credit to some (for example the Tagore tune) and not to the others (the Louis Armstrong tune) gives a very sneaky feel to the whole deal.

    By Blogger Wandering Soul, at December 05, 2006 10:19 AM  

  • Illusions: Shuddering and sighing... still disappointed! I wish they would at least credit the damn song you know!! Because they (at least shantanu moitra) does dole out some very good stuff!

    By Blogger Wandering Soul, at December 05, 2006 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home