Wandering Soul

Sunday, November 04, 2007

A visit by the sea

All my adventures in China seem to revolve around food. This one is no different! A little background first – since most people here don’t speak any English, all my food ordering is through my two English-speaking colleagues. The standard direction to them being ‘no meat, no chicken, no fish!’

Anyway, after going through the process on a particular day, I sat down to eat my food - noodles and vegetables in soup. After a few bites of vegetables, my spoon hit a hard object and I heard a very pronounced ‘thupp’. I dug around for sometime… and came across some seashells. Yes! SEASHELLS!! There they were, these purple looking (yes, yes, they were rather pretty!) things hidden underneath that layer of vegetables.

I am used to seeing, hell, I have even gone hunting for the damn things, but on a BEACH, not in my food!

I guess vegetarianism really means different things in different countries. Either that, or the non-vegetarian superpowers are trying really really hard for me to convert!


Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Your scolding today was effective... so here I am!! :)

    Believe me, the definition of vegetarianism DOES vary! Here, egg is considered veg... go figure!

    I suggest just cooking your own food for the remaining time, or repeat experiences like the one you just had are inevitable :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 04, 2007 10:54 PM  

  • The Greeks consider white meat as vegetarian...well that is as per
    "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"...

    By Blogger illusions, at November 05, 2007 11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home